30 May 2006

The Singing Niece


Here's a photo of the Alaska Youth Choir touring group--the group going to Italy in July--with our little songbird, Mary, my youngest niece, front and center. Here are the words of her proud daddy (my twin brother), desribing our darling practicing her craft.

"Two weeks ago, as the season for the main choir ended, Missouri, the choir director, had individual sessions with each of the choristers. Jeannie and I sat in the back of the chapel watching Mary have her individual lesson. The chapel was dark, except for the lights at the altar where Missouri sat at the piano and light streaming in through the stained glass behind the altar where Mary stood singing. She was singing a song in German by Bach, and she has such a beautiful voice, and the whole scene was simply overwhelming--such a beautiful moment that as she sang I couldn't hold back the tears."

And of course, I too got all weepy-eyed just reading this. Thanks for indulging me in this moment of filial pride and joy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Glynis said...

Cheer on, Aunt Judyy! I could just imagine the scene your brother described and it is beautiful!

1:17 PM  
Blogger loonyhiker said...

Great photo! I know you are so proud. I love how you blurred out the other faces and hers is so clear. Thanks for sharing.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Can anyone say, "SCRAPBOOK PAGE"? Those words need to be kept and celebrated. What awesome emotion and honesty. Your niece is beautiful and I'm sure she sings like an angel!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How wonderful for your niece.

6:03 PM  
Blogger ArtcTrish said...

Love everything about this post- LOVE what you did with he photo! ANd the journaling if fabulous....you must scrap this!!!!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

A beautiful photo and a superb story behind it.
And how wonderful for mary to have this opportunity to go to Italy. Not just as a tourist but as a performing artist.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Gabby Faye said...

Have you had chance to hear her sing? It sounds absolutely lovely as your brother described it, but now I want to listen.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home