29 April 2006

More Beginnings

Two new beginnings this week, both, of course, to do with cycling.

New Beginning #1: new seatpost and saddle on my bike. My left knee has been whining an awful, well, OK, it's been screaming, despite the healthy doses of Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, and anti-inflammatory drugs I've been providing for the persnickety little joint. So I decided to check my bike position to see if I could tweak that a little and shut my knee up that way. Though my bike frame is custom-made, I've moved things around a good bit since I've had it, so there was a possibility that things had gotten out of whack. And guess what? They had. And even worse than that, I found a crack in the seatpost. So time for a new one, this time with an offset, so I can jam the saddle back a bit, since the measurements I took suggested that my knees are too far forward over the pedal axles.

But with bikes, you move one thing, and a new problem is likely to rear its ugly head. This time, it was the place where the rider meets the saddle. The new position caused some ouchiness in my own "saddle." So I ordered a new Terry Butterfly saddle to top off my new carbon fiber seatpost--very snappy. And I took them both for a spin today. Here's what I found out: the carbon fiber seatpost rocks--it even seems to smooth out the ride a little. The new saddle, however, is going to take some breaking in. My girly parts were nicely pampered by the slot in the middle of the saddle, but further back--still some ouchiness. But I know from experience that the best cure for that is . . . more miles in the saddle. Yep, I can do that.

New Beginning #2: Younger Next Year--to be continued.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home